Seeing the world through a theological lens...
An Inspired Congregation
Last week's congregational business meeting was both energizing and fruitful. For those of you who were able to attend- Thank you! I was glad to see the level of participation and engagement and was touched by the positive and thought-provoking comments and questions. It is clear that we are in a forward-moving time at our church.
For those who could not attend, here is a summary of what was discussed:
1. Communication: Lois explained the ongoing effort to better communicate pertinent information to the congregation. Also, if you have a specific way you would like to be reached for emergencies, please let us know.
2. Two members were unanimously elected to the Leadership Team. We are grateful to Bev Bennett and John Khanlian for their willingness to serve in this capacity.
3. We need two people to serve as delegates to our Rochester Genesee Region. Delegates are responsible for keeping up with region events and actions, voting on behalf of our congregation on relevant issues, and attending the delegate meetings twice per year in Rochester (that part is optional). One person expressed interest already, so if you would like to fill the other position for 2017, please let me know.
3. Alliance of Baptists: As described in last week's 'Pep Talk,' the Alliance of Baptists is a group of progressive Baptist churches, much like us, who, partner together to do mission, support and encourage one another, and act for peace and justice. The Alliance affords churches of our size the opportunity to get more involved in progressive church movements than we would as one church with limited resources. The Co-Directors of Alliance of Baptists will be joining us for worship and discussion on July 9. Please try to be present that Sunday as we will have the chance both to find out about this wonderful organization, and ask questions.
4. John Dinsmore, Chair of Trustees gave a wonderful report on some of the happenings in Properties and Grounds. For a detailed report, scroll to the bottom of this blast. Thank you, John (Deeee!) for giving so much of yourself and your time to our church!
5. A NEW way to give: Margie Green explained a new giving option for those who do prefer not to use checks, or on line bill paying. Our church will now be able to accept debit/credit card payments on Sunday mornings via a "Square" device, which allows those of us who do not like to carry cash to still contribute to the church. It is a great way to give straight from your checking or savings account, no matter what the amount. The church will incur a small surcharge for each donation, but it will enable another group of our population to contribute.
6. ABC-USA: People were given the opportunity to express feelings on the appointment of our new General Secretary, Lee Spitzer. The Leadership Team will continue to talk about this, and host congregational conversations about this issue in the near future.
I hope this summary has been helpful to you. If you have questions, concerns, please contact the church office and ask for me. I'm happy to meet with any and all of you. The minutes of this meeting are posted in the black notebook in the church lounge for your perusal. Next week, I will give you an update on some of the ministry areas in which you may feel called to be involved, and some of the ways that our ministry circles are impacting our community of faith, and beyond!
Rev. Linda Pepe
Loving life, light, and laughter...